Tricks of the Trade: Senioritis
There is a contagious disease spreading through the halls of WHS. It can attach itself to you at anytime, anyplace. It is whispered about during freshman year, but fully acknowledge during senior year. What is it you ask? It is the unavoidable…senioritis. Senioritis is the lazy disease many high school seniors catch and is impossible to cure. Once you catch senioritis, you can’t get rid of it but can learn to live with it. Here’s how:
1. Accept that you have caught the disease. (D)e Nile is not only a river that runs through Egypt. If you can’t accept that you have senioritis, it will be a really tough rest last month. But most of the time seniors love catching senioritis, so don’t worry, you are not the only one who hasn’t done work in the past two weeks.
2. Do not deny yourself laziness. If your senioritis-induced laziness is telling you to sleep in, you sleep in. If it is telling you to go watch that new movie or wait in a four hour line for a limited time only whatever instead of writing the english essay, you do everything in your power to make your laziness happy.
3. Don’t actually do any work… for the most part. Just enough to pass your classes. If you have already decided on a college, doing any more work is not needed and a waste of precious do nothing time.
4. Maybe you are not understanding: Do not do any work! Senior + work = empty shell of a human being. Do you want to be an empty shell the last month of your senior year? No, I didn’t think so.
5. Make your friends slightly dislike you. Enjoy doing nothing by also bragging about do nothing. Relish in the green stares you receive from your friends because you actually got eight hours of sleep and aren’t stressed while everyone else is running on four hours and three Starbucks lattes.
6. Enjoy being a senior! You are only a high school senior once (exactly 46 more days), so do what you can with whatever range of motivation or energy that you have.
Other stories in Columns
- Are You Ready to Live a Vegetarian Lifestyle? - April 26, 2012
- Hanging in the Balance: The Struggle in the High School Years - March 12, 2012
- America's Secret War - March 9, 2012
- For a Better Build, Play in Water - March 8, 2012
- Do Your Song Choices Mean Anything About You? - March 8, 2012